Athan Makrinos, Senior Associate
Law School: University of Windsor & University of Detroit Mercy School of Law with a Canadian and an American Juris Doctorate degree
Admitted to Bar: 2016
Years of Experience: 6
Proficiency In: : Non-Compete/Non-Solicitation, Fiduciary Duties
Using Instinct and Extensive Experience, Provides
Insightful and Tailored Strategies to Deliver Results
Athanasios Makrinos (Athan), an employment lawyer and litigator, values hard work, integrity and fairness. These values result in Athan zealously advocating on behalf of his clients to ensure they are treated with respect and receive favourable results.
Athan describes himself as personable, transparent, and pragmatic. He prides himself on providing clients with clear expectations and practical advice that best suits their needs. His clients agree, characterizing him as kind, realistic, and passionate. Described by clients as “a champion of detail and balanced fairness”, providing them with “peace of mind” in knowing that he is there to “stand up for them”.
While Athan takes every opportunity to find the right solution through diplomatic negotiations, if he determines his client is not being treated appropriately, he moves swiftly to protect their interest. Using his instinctive ability to anticipate his opponent’s strategies and next move, along with his extensive background in handling complex litigation disputes, Athan crafts strategies that speak to the unique characteristic of each matter. Known for his confident and commanding presence in the courtroom, Athan thrives on the challenge.
Athan represents both employees and employers in all matters of employment law including wrongful/constructive dismissal claims, harassment and human rights claims, breaches of fiduciary duties, employment contracts, and workplace policies.
As a huge fan, Athan spends his personal time following the Cleveland Browns and the Toronto Raptors.
Courtroom Success: – Athan Loves A Challenge
Athan’s passion for advocacy has translated in him appearing before all levels of court, including various tribunals, such as: the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, Ontario Divisional Court, Court of Appeal for Ontario, Ontario Labour Relations Board, Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario, the Ontario Small Claims Court, and various matters in front of arbitrators.
Some of Athan’s diverse case experiences include:
- Aware Ads Inc. v Walker et al, 2021 ONSC 7452, successfully challenged an injunction that would have impacted the client’s ability to work in his industry while also preventing the plaintiff from appropriating profits.
- Labrador Recycling Inc. v Folino, 2021, ONSC 2195, successfully blocked an interim injunction motion that would have impacted client’s ability to work in his industry while also preventing the plaintiff from appropriating the client’s profit.
- Middleton v Lev 1 Inc., 2022 ONSC 1619, successfully moved to amend statement of claim in wrongful dismissal case , increasing the dollars awarded to the client.
News and Other Media
Athan has recently appeared in the following media:
- HR Reporter, Are Masks Still Needed at Work?, March 23, 2022
- CTV News Windsor, Mandatory vaccine rules likely to stand-up in court: Employment lawyers, August 24, 2021
- Now Toronto, Coronavirus puts the spotlight on workers rights in Ontario, March 12, 2020
Do you need workplace legal advice?
Whitten & Lublin Employment and Labour Lawyers is a nationally recognized team, assisting employees in all aspects of workplace legal disputes. Don’t take a chance with your case. Consult the law firm with a team of proficient employment and labour law lawyers.
Toronto & GTA: (647) 946-1276