The government of Canada has announced that it will be expanding the Canada Worker Lockdown Benefit (CWLB). CWLB provides temporary income support for employed and self-employed workers who are unable to work due to ongoing COVID-19 lockdowns in their region. The expansion of this program will allow eligibility to workers in regions where provincial or territorial governments have introduced or acknowledged capacity restrictions of 50% or more.
The Canada Worker Lockdown Benefit is being run by the Canada Revenue Agency in an effort to support workers that are impacted by ongoing COVID-19 lockdowns. Eligible workers may receive up to $300 per week for any week their region is under an applicable lockdown between October 24, 2021, and May 7, 2022.
Eligibility depends on both the worker’s region and individual circumstances.
Certain regions will be eligible for specific weeks, depending on its lockdown status at the time. Interested workers can click this link to see if their region is eligible. Workers can apply for up to 60-days following an eligible lockdown in their region.
Eligible workers must meet the eligibility criteria which includes, but is not limited to:
- Earned at least $5,000 in 2020, 2021, or in the 12 months leading up to the date of application;
- Filed a 2020 tax return;
- A region where you work or provide a service is designated as a COVID-19 lockdown region during the application period;
- A designated COVID-19 lockdown in your region resulted in one of the following during the applicable period:
- lost your job and are unemployed
- are self-employed but unable to continue your work
- are employed or self-employed but had a reduction of at least 50% in your average weekly income as compared to the previous year;
- Did not quit your job or otherwise choose not to work if possible;
- Vaccinated or not required to vaccinate for your position;
- Were not isolating or in quarantine due to international travel.
Where can I get more information?
For information on the Canada Worker Lockdown Benefit eligibility, visit the Government of Canada’s guide here: Canada Worker Lockdown Benefit.
To better understand your workplace rights during these unprecedented times, we encourage employees and employers to seek legal advice. We at Whitten & Lublin are happy to provide insight and advice into your specific circumstances. If you are looking for employment lawyers and would like more information about what Whitten & Lublin can do for you, please contact us online or by phone at (416) 640-2667.