Recognizing the Signs Before You’re Unemployed
You showed up for work like any other day and carried about your business until you were called into your manager’s office. Minutes later, you stand there wondering how it all happened so fast.
Next time, don’t get caught off-guard. Arm yourself by recognizing the “Signs that you might be about to get fired”, and go down swinging (metaphorically of course).
Employment Lawyer Daniel Lublin offers some great insight into the symptoms of a looming dismissal in his weekly Metro article. The full article is well worth a read, but here are a few highlights of signs to watch for:
- Sudden unfounded scrutiny;
- A lack of constructive feedback;
- Loss of important work to other employees;
- Criticism for small errors that were previously overlooked;
- Being left out of important meetings;
- Receiving memo’s that outline instructions that were previously given verbally;
- And poor performance appraisals, even if you’ve done a good job.
- Be especially vigilant close to the time when bonuses are paid out.
Although many of these signs could potentially mean that you aren’t doing your job well, they are also often concocted to substantiate a decision that has already been made to fire you. If you start to notice the signs, don’t wait around for it to happen – contact a lawyer to find out what your options are.