Unionized Employees

Toronto Employment Lawyer

Unionized employees are represented by a trade union and are generally unable to sue their employers in court. Instead, unionized employees must follow the guidelines set out in the Collective Agreement, which is a written agreement addressing the employment relationship between the employer, union, and employees.

According to the Ontario Labour Relations Act, unions have a legal duty to fairly represent their employees. Unions must ensure that the interests of all employees are served in a manner that is not arbitrary, discriminatory or in bad faith.

Union and Filing a Grievance

If the union has failed to properly investigate, process, or arbitrate a grievance, an employee may file a Duty of Fair Representation complaint with the Labour Relations Board where a Board Tribunal has the authority to order a number of remedies.

If you are a unionized employee and believe that your right to fair representation has been violated, you should meet with a Labour Law lawyer at Whitten & Lublin, who can review your case against the union and assist you in the preparation and filing of your complaint.

Consult with a nationally-recognized lawyer with an exceptional experience at Whitten & Lublin Employment & Labour Lawyers. To book a consultation please contact us online or by phone at (416) 640-2667 today!  



Why Clients Choose Us?

  • Nationally recognized in 2020 & 2018 as one of Canada's Top 10 Employment & Labour Law Firms, by Canadian Lawyer Magazine
  • Lawyers are recognized as “Leading Practitioners” by Lexpert, which is the largest annual survey of leading lawyers in Canada and an acknowledgment of excellence voted on by peers.
  • One of the most positively reviewed and recommend Employment and Labour Law Firm in Canada, based on Google reviews from past and present clients