Ryan Watkins, Partner
As a former competitive baseball player, Employment Lawyer and litigator Ryan Watkins likes to swing for the fences – whether in life or in law. This is the approach that Ryan brings to the table when it comes to handling workplace disputes: No matter whether your case is big, small, complex or straightforward, rest assured that Ryan is trying to hit a home run for his clients.
Ryan’s employment and workplace law experiences are as varied as his background. Ryan attended law school in California and was later admitted to the State Bar of Hawaii. However, since 2012, he has honed his litigation skills back in Toronto, where he was raised.
Unlike many other so-called “employment law litigators”, who claim they will go to court, Ryan Watkins walks the walk. Some of Ryan’s diverse case experiences include:
- Chapman v. GPM Investment Management, 2017 ONCA 227, successfully represented an investment management firm at the Court of Appeal against a former employee who sued for over $3 million dollars.
- Terradyne Construction Management Ltd. v. 6832458 Canada Inc., 2015 ONCA 1495 –successfully represented the defendant in a complex breach of trust claim, at the Ontario Divisional Court.
- Hall v. Jones DesLauriers Insurance Management Inc., 2015 ONSC 1438 –successfully represented an executive in a wrongful dismissal action.
- Naeem Alarakhia v. Ashley Park Operations Corporation – successfully defended an employer in a wrongful dismissal action.
- Argen Canada LLC v. Nigel Roberts – successfully recovered damages for a company that mistakenly overpaid a former employee.
Although Ryan has experience handling very complex workplace cases, he also holds a special interest in representing the little guy or girl, especially in ‘David versus Goliath’ type matters, where Ryan can really make a difference for his clients. Through his litigation practice, Ryan has also gained extensive experience in employment standards matters, employment contracts, human rights and discrimination, privacy matters, workplace safety and insurance, wrongful/constructive dismissals, union disputes, and occupational health and safety.
During law school, Ryan was a member of the prestigious Law Review and his article was published in the Santa Clara Law Review Journal. On a personal note, Ryan is an avid supporter of the Toronto Raptors and he is a proud season ticket holder.
Ryan has appeared on CBC, Global News Morning, TVO, CTV, BNN Bloomberg, and 680 News. Ryan also frequently writes and is quoted in journal publications. Some recent publications include:
- BNN Bloomberg, ICU doctor says demands for office ‘face-time’ need to stop amid third wave – BNN Bloomberg, April 6, 2021
- BNN Bloomberg, https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/1-in-3-workers-would-seek-new-job-if-asked-to-return-to-office-full-time-survey-1.1586644 , April 6, 2021
- Toronto.com, “Can Businesses deny customers who don’t get the COVID-19 vaccine?”, December 18, 2020
- Canadian Lawyer Magazine, “Can employers require employees to take a COVID vaccine”, December 16, 2020
- The Toronto Star Podcast This Matters, “3.2 Percent of Ontario’s lawyers are Black. Why that’s a problem for law and society”, August 31, 2020
- The Lawyer’s Daily, “Why so few Black partners in Canada’s top law firms?”, August 10, 2020
- Toronto.com, “Analysis: Why are there so few Black lawyers in Ontario?”, July 31, 2020
- The Globe and Mail, “Library staff in Fraser Valley, B.C. ordered not to perform first aid in emergencies”, March 26, 2018
Ryan Watkins can be reached at email@example.com
Why Clients Choose Us?
- Nationally recognized in 2020 & 2018 as one of Canada's Top 10 Employment & Labour Law Firms, by Canadian Lawyer Magazine
- Lawyers are recognized as “Leading Practitioners” by Lexpert, which is the largest annual survey of leading lawyers in Canada and an acknowledgment of excellence voted on by peers.
- One of the most positively reviewed and recommend Employment and Labour Law Firm in Canada, based on Google reviews from past and present clients
“I have worked with lawyers in personal and professional capacities for more than 2 decades, and can attest, without a doubt, that Whitten & Lublin are a firm that stand out above the rest. I had the privilege of being represented by Ryan Watkins and highly recommend his services. His calm demeanour and yet tough and shrewd approach to law when representing his clients is something to relish and be tremendously comforted by. Anyone who has an employment matter that requires representation, or even just some questions answered, contact Whitten & Lublin”.